Why My Daughter is Crying

20140103-232553.jpg

Lily and I are on a road trip. It’s sixteen hours between my little sister and I, and Ryan needed to stay home and work. So we spent two days in the car, and visited for a few days. Now, we’re on our way back. We’re less than halfway, and we stopped for the night at a hotel.

I have to say, Lily is an excellent traveller. She sleeps and entertains herself and is really well-behaved. But everyone starts to lose it in the car eventually. For her, that started between dinner and the hotel tonight. It was about two hours. She cried. The. Whole. Time.

For your entertainment, here is why my 4-year-old was crying.

Because it’s hot
Because there’s no Starbucks anywhere
Because she forgot her kids menu at Cracker Barrel
Because she forgot to eat her biscuit
Because there aren’t dinosaurs at the Bronx Zoo anymore, just holiday stuff
Because Santa didn’t bring her a dinosaur
Because she didn’t get to show her cousins her Santa Claus movie that had their names on it.
Because it’s cold
BECAUSE THERE IS NO STARBUCKS ANYWHERE!!
Because how will she ever learn shapes and letters?
Because she needs water
Because DAAAAAAAAAAAAADDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

9 Comments (+add yours?)

1. T. D. Davis
    Jan 03, 2014 @ 23:50:10

This gave me the hardest laugh I’ve had in a week! What’s with your child and Starbucks?? Are you a little worried about this? πŸ™‚

• Thoroughly Modern Mommy
      Jan 03, 2014 @ 23:54:14

She probably gets it from her Mama πŸ˜‰ She got it in her mind that she wanted a “milkshake” (a vanilla frappuccino. Nothing with coffee!) and was so tired she couldn’t let it go. And…. she learned it from watching me…. Hehe.

2. Caitlin
    Jan 03, 2014 @ 23:59:13

I love those vanilla milkshakes….. Gah. Vanilla bean fraps will be my undoing.

3. Kimberly Yates (@KimberlyYates)
    Jan 04, 2014 @ 04:50:17

“Because how will she ever learn shapes and letters?” And this ladies and gentleman is one more reason why I LOVE HER!

4. Cara
    Jan 04, 2014 @ 13:00:43

I have some cousins that are considerably younger than me. When I was in high school and they were teeny-tiny (maybe 2 and 4), they and their parents joined us at the beach for a few days one summer. One of my favorite stories to this day….we were at the hotel eating dinner in the room, and their mom took them to the bathroom to pee before we went out. First the boy had a meltdown because he wanted to go first. Then after they’d both gone, we heard a flush followed by a wail, and a plaintive cry of “I WANTED TO FLUUUUSH!!”

5. Cara